Soil Health is…
- Holistic. Think about your own personal “health.” Health is a measure of overall well being.
- Chemical, physical, and biological. Most soil health properties fall into these three categories which are interrelated and equally important.
- Feeding the soil, not the plant. Modern sustainable agricultural practices are invested in maintaining and improving soil health, working with biological processes in the soil to minimize inputs and maximize productivity.
- Good Stewardship. Healthy soils perform essential ecosystem services – some of which we are only beginning to understand.
About This Site
Ohio State resources on this site are placed into two categories.
- Soil Health Assessment - quantifying and measuring soil health in the field and laboratory.
- Soil Health Management - fostering soil health through holistic soil and crop management.